Difference between revisions of "Grenoble"
|Line 411:||Line 411:|
First off : informations about [http://french.about.com/od/travelfrance/a/liveworkinfrance.htm working in France for a "non EU resident"]<br/>
First off : informations about [http://french.about.com/od/travelfrance/a/liveworkinfrance.htm working in France for a "non EU resident"]
Revision as of 23:02, 25 February 2013
|France||Main pages||Places||Other links|
Alsace • Aquitaine • Auvergne • Lower Normandy • Bourgogne • Brittany • Centre • Champagne-Ardenne • Corsica • Franche-Comté • Upper Normandy • Ile-de-France • Languedoc-Roussillon • Limousin • Lorraine • Midi-Pyrénées • Nord-Pas-de-Calais • Pays-de-la-Loire • Picardie • Poitou-Charentes • Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur • Rhone-Alpes
- 1 GENERAL INFORMATION
- 2 WELCOME KIT
- 3 COUCHSURFING GROUPS OF GRENOBLE
- 4 COUCHSURFING ACTIVITIES
- 5 WHAT TO DO ?
- 6 HOW TO SETTLE
- 7 TRANSPORT
- 8 IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
- 9 LOCAL MEDIA MENTIONS
- 10 TIPS
Grenoble is in the Rhone-Alpes region, and is the prefecture of the Isère departement.
Finding a couch in Grenoble
By searching people who say "yes or definitely" have a couch and have been logged-in during the last 2 weeks, you can find around 500 potential active hosts (information accurate as of June 2011).
Please make personal requests before using the Grenoble Emergency Requests sub-group. This group is for emergency in time only.
- Safety features on CS
- How to read a profile
- Writing a good couchrequest
- Tips for surfing
- Being a good guest
- Tips for hosting
- Solo couchsurfing
- Family couchsurfing
- Writing and reading references
- Dating & CS
- Avoiding scams & dealing with spam
COUCHSURFING GROUPS OF GRENOBLE
Grenoble CS group has about 185 active members, but the ~1400 subscriptions put this city to the 11th rank in France for number of members.
The Grenoble CS Group is very active, about one local meeting per week with very original themes each time... (See the list below)
You can join this amazing band on : GRENOBLE
Check out our collaborative Grenoble Calendar !
- To embed it into your own Google Calendar : http://firstname.lastname@example.org
- To be able to add/edit events from your very own calendar, log on https://www.google.com/calendar/ with "cs38grenoble" / "couchsurfing", and add your email in Settings / Calendars / Shared: Edit settings / Share this calendar.
NB : when you create an event, make sure to include a link to the dedicated CS thread, and the precise location.
More help on the Google Help center.
15 March 2008 - 14:00
A COUCH IN THE CITY, SEVERAL COUCHSURFERS AND A GOOD DOSE OF FUN!
The CS group of Grenoble propose a "sofa promenade " through the city and to take pictures in typical places of Grenoble ... Before concluding with a regional Couchsurfing big fiesta !
During this day, also the realization of a video film , a photo essay and plenty of other surprises !
Subscribe quickly on this meeting by clicking on the link and "Join the meeting"!
UN CANAPE DANS LA VILLE, DES COUCHSURFERS SURVOLTES ET UNE BONNE DOSE DE FUN !
Le CS group de Grenoble vous propose une "promenade de canapé" à travers la ville et de se prendre en photo dans des lieux pittoresques de Grenoble... avant de terminer avec une grosse fiesta Couchsurfing régionale !
Lors de cette journée, réalisation aussi d'un film video, d'un reportage photo et plein d'autres surprises !
Inscrivez vous vite sur ce meeting en cliquant sur le lien proposé et "Join the meeting" !
Since 1st of January 2008 :
Open House, Open minded
31st of December - 1st January 2008
For all the people who wanted to take part of the new year's eve in a different way, a couchsurfer opened his flat for all Cs during all eve, for 5 min or all night...
5th of January 2008
First meeting of the year in the famous bar...
Ideas to suggest future meetings
- Photo rally, picnic, BBQ, concert, movie, impro theater, debate on a theme at home, ephemeral photo exhibition in a bar...
- Pimp my CS profile, contribute to this Wiki...
- Hike, via-ferrata, rock-climbing, geocaching walk, accrobranche...
- Wine & cheese dinner, beer tasting, foreign cuisine, cooking lesson, clothe exchanges...
- Give-blood meeting, free hug session, free hugs disguised for Haloween, photo shooting to make a calendar, pillow fight, water fight, giant bubble battle, cardboard boat making, dahu hunting...
- Invade another city
- "Couch crawl" at Grenoble CSers, hitchhiking race
- International book exchanges
How to create a meeting
A meeting page (example) makes it possible for the interested people to subscribe to the meeting, without spamming the whole group (numerous messages like "I'll be in !"). And it allows everybody to know at a glance who'll participate in that meeting. So :
1. Start on "Community" / "Create event"
Warning : for a sub-meeting of an existing meeting, see the next paragraph.
2. Set a maximum of information, especially the times and location.
4. Validate with the button "Save event"
5. You can send invitations :
5.1 On the page of you rnew meeting, click on "Send out meeting invitations"
5.2 Select the appropriate group(s) that you want to inform,
5.3 And/or select a recent couch search that you previously did, in order to invite those resulting people.
5.4 Send invitations by clicking "Save and send Message ASAP"
6. Go to "Community" / "My events" and copy the link to your meeting
7. Then don't forget to post that meeting link on the appropriate groups !
For a sub-meeting of an existing parent meeting :
a. In the web adress of the existing meeting, find the "meeting ID" (e.g: ...meetings.html?mid=94807 -> 94807)
b. Start on meetings.html?newsubmeeting=94807 with the parent meeting ID (94807). The form is then auto-filled with the parent meeting data.
c. The rest is all the same : see step 2 above.
More information here (fr).
To find a date/time which fits most people: you can use Doodle polling tool, very easy to use.
Weekly meetings : example of description for the meeting page, and to post on the group :
Hi ! Next wednesday, our Grenoble CS meeting will take place at ...... Here are the address and directions : ..... The weekly theme is : ...You can choose an original theme... Meeting link : http://www.couchsurfing.org/meetings.html?mid=.... Please, do subscribe before coming ! It is not mandatory but very handy to keep in touch afterwards. Hope to find you there next Wedensday ;-) NEW CSers: If you just arrived on CS, do not hesitate to join us for questions about CS, to meet the community of Grenoble, and above all, to spend some good time :-) ORIGIN OF THIS MEETING: This meeting was originally on tuesdays (based on answers to a survey in September 2010), it then moved to wednesday picnics in Park Mistral, to take advantage of the free open-air movies in that park.
WHAT TO DO ?
The Bastille: It's a nice good walk (45 minutes), and there are beautiful forests and mountains surrounding the city. The mountains never look the same one day to another !
Look at this map of different acess routes and opening times of the doors.
Around Grenoble :
-- "Wooden hut in the trees"/St Paul de Varces/From April to November/ For only 2 people / Tel : 06.84.78.64.22
More information about the places to visit in Grenoble on the wikitravel:Grenoble !
- About all sports at Grenoble :
- Hiking :
- Get lots of advices and rent maps at the Maison de la Montagne, 3 rue Raoul Blanchard, Grenoble (04.76.44.67.03). And search for hikes by criterias : public transportations, duration, etc
- With "Transisère" coach network (PDF map), you can go to a lot of mountains around Grenoble, starting from the coach station (next to the train station : see map).
- The Sipavag lists some hikes and bike rides, accessible by public transportations.
- Map of parks and easy hikes in or near Grenoble, accessible via public transportations (PDF, 5 Mo) (from the Sipavag)
- Bivouak.net : community about all mountain sports
- Isere.rando.free.fr : good lists of hikes in the different mountains
- GeoPportail : online IGN maps
- Refuges.info : all refuges in France, with IGN maps
- Roller :
- Grenoble-roller organizes some free rides downtown on every friday night, from April to December.
- Skiing :
- Communications are on "sports and moutains" CS sub-group.
- List of skiing resorts around Grenoble (closest ones : Chamrousse and Les 7 laux)
- To drive to a station, share a car : coriding.com
- Standard coaches to get to the resorts : Trans'Isère
- Coach + skipass are sometimes cheaper than skipass alone :
- Transaltitude coaches (departure from "Grenoble road station")
- Where skis can be rented ? some examples :
- snowrental.net (possibly 50% off !)
- Ski Service, 84 rue Nicolas Chorier
- La Boite à Skis, 18 rue Marceau Leyssieux SMH
- Espace Montagne, avenue Gabriel Péri, SMH
- Snow-shoeing :
- Rock climbing :
- Via-ferratas :
- Where to rent equipment at Grenoble (~10€/day) : Clavel Sport, Adrenaline, or Espace Montagne
- List of via-ferratas in Isère
- CS thread about different via-ferratas done.
- About the via-ferrata of La Bastille :
- location : 22 route de Lyon
- 2 parts : 1h (OK for beginners) + 1h (more difficult).
- Read this full description.
- Look at this map of different acess routes and opening times of the doors.
- Volley-ball :
- Swimming :
- List of Grenoble pools, namely "Le Clos d'Or"
- Larger list of pools in Isère
- Olympic pool at the campus
- Lessons in pools at Grenoble (CS thread)
- Lac de la Taillat (free, unsupervised)
- Lac du Bois Français
- A bit further away :
- List of waterbodies (by car)
- List of torrents (by car)
- List of lakes (by car)
- Running :
- Check out our "Grenoble Running" CS sub-group.
- Paragliding :
- Yoga / pilates :
- Some classes recommended by CSers in this thread and in that one :
- Vie en yoga
- Pilates et yoga
- PhilippeFrequelin-Yoga : more kundalini yoga than purely hatha yoga
- CSer Benjamin E. is a kundalini yoga teacher : his post on CS
Grenoble music : the very best of This CS local project aims to create a music compilation of the most famous (or the best-but-not-famous) music bands from Grenoble. (Started on 16/06/11)
For all cultural events, check out the Petit Bulletin (free weekly newspaper).
- Grenoble Museum : Fine Arts and antiques
- Museum of WW2 resistance and deportation : specificity of the French Resistance in the Isère department
- Musée Dauphinois : ethnographic, archaeological and historical museum, covering the territory of the former province of "Dauphiné".
- Contemporary Art Museum
- Museum of the old bishopric : heritage of the Isere department, through the history of its bishopric
- Natural History Museum : the alpîne botanic, zoologic, geologic and ethnologic heritage
- Archaeological museum of Saint-Laurent church : the old church of Saint-Laurent, built on the remains of a Gallo-Roman necropolis, has become an archaeological site and museum.
- Museum "Hébert" (paintings) : paintings and sculptures by Ernest Hébert or his friends
Cinema: there is an awesome cinema called le méliés in the city centre on rue de strasbourg.. it shows lots of independant and alternative films from all over the world.
Yearly festivals in/near Grenoble:
- Music (check out all the dates and details for 2011 on this pdf program):
- Rocktambule (Grenoble)
- Cabaret Frappé (Grenoble)
- Jazz Grenoble (Grenoble)
- Les 38e Rugissants (Grenoble)
- Les Détours de Babel (Grenoble)
- Fête de la bastille (Grenoble)
- Fort en son (fanfare music) (Grenoble)
- Festival de la cour du Vieux Temple (Grenoble)
- Rencontres Brel (Saint Pierre de Chartreuse)
- Jazz à Vienne (Vienne)
- Musiques en Stock (Cluses)
- Col des 1000 (Miribel les Echelles)
- Guitare en scene (Saint Julien en Genevois)
- Démon d'Or (Poleymieux au Mont d’Or)
- Musilac (Aix les Bains)
- Musique au Parc (Bourg de Péage)
- Movies :
Culinary specialties from the area (dauphiné):
- Chartreuse liqueur
- Nuts from Grenoble
- Gratin dauphinois
- Ravioles from the dauphiné
- Tasty cheeses (Saint Marcellin, Bleu de Sassenage, ...)
- (and much more...)
- Le 1900 : Place Notre Dame, Grenoble.
- La Bifurk : 2, rue Gustave-Flaubert, Grenoble. Open monday-friday 9.00-12.00, 14.00-18.00 (and 20.00-... on saturdays)/
- Le Subway : 2, rue Lakanal, Grenoble. Tél : 04.76.87.31.67. Open monday-friday 8.00am-1.00am, saturday 14.00-1.00am, sunday 16.00-1.00am.
- Loco Mosquito : 56, rue Thiers, Grenoble. Tél : 04.76.85.03.16. Open monday-saturday 18.00-1.00am.
- London Pub : 11, rue Brocherie, Grenoble. Tél : 04.76.44.41.90. Open monday-saturday 18.00-1.00am.
- Tago Mago Salsa : 61, cours Jean-Jaurès, Grenoble. Tél : 04.76.46.39.74. Open thursday-saturday 20.30-2.00am.
- No Name : 35, rue Antoine-Polotti, Saint-Martin-d'Hères. Tél : 04.76.01.19.82. Open monday 9.00-15.00, tuesday-friday 9.00-1.00am, saturday 10.00-15.00 and 19.00-1.00am.
- Bar MC2 : 4, rue Paul-Claudel, Grenoble. Tél : 04.76.00.79.54. Open tuesday-saturday 19.00-1.00am, after the last show.
- l'Amperage : concerts, etc. 163 cours Berriat, 38000 Grenoble
- Mark XIII : electro/dark bar. 8 Rue Lakanal, 38000 Grenoble
- Salsa in short : "Le Théatro" on tuesdays ; "Ambiance Café" on wednesdays ; "Da Vinci Club" on thursdays ; "Ambiance Café" and "No Name" on fridays.
- All salsa nights at Grenoble
- CS message about bars for salsa, bachata, merengue, reggaeton, kuduro...
- Forum about salsa bars and free lessons
- Lists of dancing bars
- Read this CS thread and that other one for advises.
Original Fast food
Fed up with chips, sponge bread, and dripping ketchup? If the smell of fat makes you sick, try the new shops which propose quickly-made fresh products, vegetables and cracking round loaf.
Mezzo di Pasta : 3, avenue d'Alsace Lorraine 09.62.50.46.86 / 7, rue Saint-Jacques Tél. 09.77.80.17.81.
Pasta Via : 3, rue Philis de la Charce 04 76 41 86 79 / Centre commercial Grand'Place Tél. 04 76 41 86 79.
Naturel Délice : 4 rue Lafayette Tél. 04 76 03 28 13
Le Buffet de l'Etoile : place de l'Etoile Tél.04 76 43 05 04
Le Wok Bar : place Notre Dame Tél.04 76 15 23 02.
Thaï Express : Centre Commercial, 55, Grand'Place Tél.04 76 22 00 00.
Le ChinaMoon : 52 avenue Alsace-Lorraine Tél. 04 76 43 14 15.
Naturel Délice : 4 rue Lafayette Tél. 04 76 03 28 13
Le Subway : 5, rue de Sault / Place Notre-Dame / 1 rue Président Carnot Tél. 04 76 86 28 84.
HOW TO SETTLE
Short term : Youth hostel
Check out this main website for students who need to find a flat in Grenoble : neutral and sincere advices (not a commercial agency).
- CRIJ 16, bd Agutte Sembat : paper ads from owners (june / september).
- FNAIM : adds from agencies
- Le bon Coin
- IntEGre forum (association of students)
- Appartager (shared flat)
- Colocation.fr (shared flat)
- Among individuals
- Intergenerational housing : free accomodation at an elderly or handicaped person's.
Check out our ads and offers on the CS sub-group dedicated to flat search and share-rentings.
Roommate dating : in "the Subway" bar, 2 rue Lakanal, Grenoble (04.76.87.31.67), on tuesdays and thursdays, 6.30pm-8pm, from 16/08 to 20/10. More info on their Facebook page.
- New flats may be taken quickly, so check very often on those sites.
- Call the landlord by phone (insist until he replies).
- Always try to book a visit for the same day.
Average prices :
- 350€ for a studio,
- 250€ for a share-renting (roughly speaking)
Need money for the bail, or miss a guarantor ? Actionlogement.fr can help you !
Grenoble districts :
City life mainly happens around the "hyper-center" : "Victor Hugo", "Notre-Dame", etc. (But very expensive.) Not so far but more quiet is "Europole" (near the station).
- Saint Bruno : a "village" atmosphere, with its own identity. Lots of different populations (maghrebi, chinese, students, families, associations, lots of small groceries...).
- Grand Boulevards : high buildings, lots of flats to rent, but not really lively identity. 10-15 minutes walking from the city-center.
- Saint Martin d'Hères : one of the "suburbs", with big (and sad) buildings
- Villeneuve-Village olympique, Fontaine... : hem, not recommended if you wanna walk by night safely.
- Full details in the paragraph below
- Is this flat near a tram station ? Check out on this Google Map of the trams network.
Keep in mind that bicycling is easy in Grenoble (flattest city in France), so you can afford living a bit further away (and it will obviously be less expensive).
Need to leave your stuff for a few days or months ?
You can rent a 1-2 m² box :
- Homebox at St Egrève (~35€/month)
- Boxmax : 35 rue des allies, Grenoble (students -10%)
- Boxland : 96 avenue leon blum, Grenoble
Boot fairs / flea markets for cheap products :
Check this updated list on vide-greniers.org.
Financial helps :
3, rue des Alliés
38051 Grenoble Cedex 9
Tél : 0820 25 38 10
- Loca-Pass : free advance of the security deposit (usually 1 or 2 month rents), and/or to be your "guarantor".
28 Galerie Arlequin
Tél : 04 76 69 45 00
First off : informations about working in France for a "non EU resident".
And ADATE is a local association which helps immigrants, it can give you tips. E.g. it's easier for immigrants to work in the countryside (fruit picking,...). French law is more "liberal" with illegal immigrants in the case of farming.
- Le bon coin (jobs)
- ManPower (interim)
- Adecco (interim)
Jobs about environment (from this CS thread) :
- Paper ads at the Institut de Géographie Alpine
- CapRural.org : regional platform of rural development
- Maison de la Nature et de l'Environnement de l'Isère (MNEI) : group of associations about nature
- Alpes Solidaires
1025, avenue Centrale
38400 St Martin d'Hères
Tél : 04 56 52 85 22
- IntEGre : an association of students that organizes activities, outings, etc, to help students with integrating Grenoble.
- Guide for foreign students (pdf)
Train and Railway
SNCF : French train company
Railway stations around Grenoble :
- Gare de Grenoble (Tram A / B, bus 34, "Transisère" coaches)
- Gare Universités-Gières (Tram B, bus 6051, 6010, 6070. Park & Ride)
- Gare de Pont de Claix (Buses 1, 18, 17. Park & Ride)
- Gare de Saint Egrève (Bus 30)
- Gare d'Echirolles (Tram A, bus 18. Park & Ride)
Seat61 : tips for traveling worldwide from France.
Car and Parking
- The 15 "Park and Ride" (parking relais) allow you to park your car and use the buses/trams during the whole day, for a few euros.
- Alpes-AutoPartage.fr : vehicle sharing.
- Check out this map of all covered parking lots in the city, and this map of paid parking lot zones downtown.
- CS Grenoble dedicated sub-group (or in France and other cities)
- covoiturage-libre (open, and no fees)
- vadrouille-covoiturage (open, and no fees)
- Student car-sharing : from/to the campus
- Covoiturage.fr : online payment, with fees for every passenger. (Forget this site.)
- Information on www.hitchwiki.org : English; Français
- Best hitchhiking spots from Grenoble : see the Grenoble Google Map
Buses and Tramways
- "Tag" company : see full map of buses & trams (pdf, 3.7Mo), or trams on a Google Map
- Interactive tools to build your itinerary
- Schedule : last trams around 01:30 a.m. See all schedules
- Mobile app : tag.mobitrans.fr
- "TransIsère" coaches network : to get to any surrounding mountain in the department.
Grenoble is flat, and full of specific ways for bicycle !
Where are nice paths to ride ?
- This OpenCycleMap shows all the bikable routes and related shops at Grenoble.
- "Les voies vertes" are beautiful FLAT tracks for bicylcles along the rivers : see this map for north-west Grenoble (36 km), and that one for the west (14 km).
Looking for a bicycle in Grenoble ? Check the following links and organisations :
- You can rent a bike at Metrovélo (long or short rentals) : see the 2 places on this map (station and campus).
- Try the TrocsAthlon, organized by the Decathlon shop in the Espace Comboire, in the south of Grenoble. It takes place twice a year, in March and October. Check that page for more information
- Suscribe to the association Le p'tit vélo dans la tête and visit one of their workshops in Grenoble. The subscription is about 13 € for students and jobless, 20 € for other people. In that way, you'll have access to spare parts and to workshops to repair your own bicycle. They can provide you with an old bicycle to repair for a few euros.
- Try Trocsport, 96 Avenue Gabriel Peri in Saint Martin D'hères (phone : 04 76 54 00 89)
- Try the Association Repérages : buy second hand bikes, or have yours repaired. If you give it back, they'll send it to Africa.
- At least, try the "Marché aux puces" on the Esplanade, close to the Porte de France (sunday mornings).
- If you surf during a couple of days, try our Bike-surfing CS sub-group.
You want to give an old one ? Contact the association Repérages, they collect bicycles to send them to Africa
Find all the adresses on that map !
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
|Hospital:||04.76.76.75.75 ("Grenoble C.H.U" - map)|
|Embassy:||See on this map, for different countries|
LOCAL MEDIA MENTIONS
There are at least 5 places where you can get Wifi access for free downtown : check them on that map .
Alternative ways of living
- Free food :
There is no food not bombs (yet!) but the dumpsters are numerous and plentiful. there are several political squats in town... but its best to find contact through other people. Or if you are involved in other political projects it should be possible for you to get free accomodation there! also there is an 'espace local autogéré' (local self-run and organised space) where there are often events, food included! There is another 'ancient' squat that's called '102' but I have never been there! I know that they have cool events and stuff too!
- Mini guide of local alternatives :
Les-renseignements-genereux.org publishes this guide for local alternatives (pdf) in Grenoble : places and self-managed groups for mutual support, re-usage, cultural activities, etc.
- Vegetable gardens (association) :
The "Jardin des Cairns" is an association that has grown trees and organic vegetables near the Musée Dauphinois since 2011. The location is ideal : great view on Grenoble, sunshine, with an enthusiastic and welcoming team. They even have some concerts on their terasse sometimes !
Add information to this page
1. Create an account by clicking on "Log in / create account" in the upper right corner of this page.
2. Then come back to this page and click "edit" on top of this page or for any specific paragraph.
More info about the Wiki syntax
And read this Guide Wiki CS (Fr)