Difference between revisions of "Sofia"
(Import the last version of the CS-Wikipage Sofia, that was exclusively edited by me. Slightly shortened. Comment out the template, because i have not investigated if something similar exists here.)
|Line 85:||Line 85:|
Revision as of 21:18, 14 October 2009
Sofia (София) is the capital of Bulgaria.
For information about travelling to Sofia see also the Lonely Planet Tips about Sofia.
Sofia has the biggest Couchsurfing community in Bulgaria. As of August 2009 there are 1,753 members. The monthly meeting is held on the 13th of every month and is announced in the Sofia Group.
Check the Sofia CS Google Calendar for more events.
Getting there and away
- Information about the Sofia Airport (SOF) on Wikipedia.
From the old airport (Terminal 1) take Bus 84 to the City Center. From the new airport (Terminal 2) Take Bus 284 to the City Center.
- Information about the Central Train Station on Wikipedia.
- Timetable information of Bulgarian Railways
- Information about the Central Bus Station on Wikipedia
- Official english website of the the Central Bus Station with Timetable.
- Many international Buses leave from the Bus Station Trafik Market, which is located between the train station and the central bus station. Beware the timetable information on this site is incomplete, there are many more companies and destinations.
- Information about Hitchhiking can be found in the Hitchwiki.
- A useful Bulgarian Site about hitchhiking in Bulgaria is http://www.stopbg.com/
Getting around in Sofia
- The Sofia Public Transport Company operates one metro line, ca. 20 Tramway lines, ca. 10 Trolleybuslines and ca. 100 buslines. Tickets can be bought on the vehicle and at kiosks near the stops.
Staying in Sofia
- If you don't find a couch, Hostelworld lists currently 17 Hostels in Sofia with Hostel Mostel being the most popular.
- Presidential Palace
- Sofia University
- National Palace of Culture (NDK)
- Ivan Vazov Theater
- National Library
- Mineral Baths
- Alexander Nevski Cathedral
- Hagia Sophia Church
- Sv. Nedelya
- Sv. Georgi
- Russian Church
- Boyana Church
- Banya Bashi Mosque
- Sofia Synagogue
- Borisova Gardina
- City Garden
Typical Bulgarian food includes: