Trustroots Safety Team Meeting
Date: 2020-05-20 20:00 UTC+2 / CEST Facilitator: Philipp Participants: Philipp, Dario, Ludo
- feedback about last week
- follow-ups on topics from last meeting?
- non-discriminative behavior in rules
- RULES: we said we wanted to add something in order to be explicit about not tolerating objectionable content or abusive users
- (phrasing about discrimination)
- value priorities
- sexual abuse case
- open ticket: https://trustroots.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/3122 (Dario?)
- non-discriminative behavior in rules
- pick facilitator for next meeting
- random question
let’s try to get everything done within one hour
Feedback about last week
- felt unsecure in the beginning how to handle support requests, but now there is a lot going on and feels like there’s a lot he can do
- forwarded all the newsletter mails to Julien
- Noahs notes on open requests were quite helpful
- idea: have a shared support ticket answering session
- felt much more effective through Noah’s notes
- feels less effective than old support team, but that’s ok
- experienced progress over the last week
- cool that there are new team members
- don’t be afraid to ask questions and go ahead and answer!
- most active week on trustroots ever in terms of signups and support traffic
- super interesting times, happy about the timing: team growth and couchsurfing spike -> we can handle this well
Follow-ups from last week’s session
- new aspect: you ‘sign’ those rules when you sign up
- other possible places for more elaborate discussion about our stance towards racism and discrimination: blog post?
- maybe it’s better to have very short and simple rules
- Mikaels change to rules: “Be friendly and know when to stop messaging someone. We have no tolerance for objectionable content or abusive users.”
- let’s create a pad and work there on the rules after the call
Rules for support team
- Ludo suggests to give ourself a code we follow while we do our work
- Dario: +1; on the github safety wiki they have started a rule book, until now only about creep profiles: https://github.com/Trustroots/safety/wiki/Rules-for-report-cases should be extended!
- Dario: for now it’s ok as an internal thing, but in the future we could be transparent and make it public?
- do that alongside real cases as an example
Sexual abuse case
- Ludo is going to discuss the message draft with Noah (and Philipp?) on slack
- we’ll see how it goes when the message is sent to reporting person
- Philipp: aim to solve until next week maybe? Dario: But the new stuff is a lot less serios.
- reporting person ok to reach out to reported person
- Dario reached out to the reported person -> waiting for reply
- Dario: it’s standard procedure
move to next call! Philipp wrote on Slack:
Maybe we could try to put up a priorities list of values to guide us in decisions or make things clearer? Something in the like of (probably missed a lot):
- keep trustroots community a safe space
- protect vulnerable members
- uncover problems
- be transparent
- be consistent in decisions
- offer TR members the possibility to reflect their attitude
Dario: “if you could only travel once more, to where and to who would it be?”
Sexual abuse case take 2
- Noah: explain to them in a reassuring way why we want to read their message.
- Noah: you reported xy. Our standard policy is to ask for permission
- Ludo: confused: message exchange 5y ago + message exchange with same users around the time they report came in
- whatever we do with a motivation to protect the socalled victim. reporting user with their past and recorded person using their trustroots account.
- Ludo: situation might be delicate with police case. We didn’t want to expose reporting person
- Noah: if to decide: making victim feel we don’t believe them is a lot worse than suspending reported person for no reason
- proposal: transparently message reported person -> he got reported (we won’t say by whom or for what) and that their account got suspended.
- either they don’t respond
- or they respond. What do we do then?
- besides their (linked) CS account got removed
- Noah is contacting BW if they received a report and how they are handling it
Next Date: 2020-05-27 20:00 UTC+2 / CEST but check with Noah! Next Facilitator: Ludo