|Cyprus||Main pages||Places||Other links|
Cyprus is a country in Europe.
- The CS Places Page for Cyprus
- Cyprus Discussion Group
- CS Events group
- Facebook group (For the sake of its 'cyber-security' and quick acceptance, please send an introductory message to CS member Pandelis )
In the South costs are higher than most of Europe except for when taxes are lower like for alcohol & cigarettes. Southern Cyprus like many places has become 2 cultures on top of each other native and immigrant i.e. a village square has a store and opposite a Bulgarian/Romanian/Philipina place with cheaper stuff. The North is usually about half price for many things, but alcohol is a little more expensive.
Ferries to Cyprus
From Turkey there are ferries Between Taşucu (Mersin Province) to Kyrenia ("Girne"), Alanya and Antalya. The night (slow) ferry From Taşucu is 72 Lyra, including port taxes. In summer fast ferries run everyday, but in the winter there are 2 slow ferries weekly (60TL or 100TL return) There are also ferries Between Mersin City in Turkey and Famagusta "Gazimagusta" in the East of the North side. But, apparently booking a plane ticket from any major city in the South to the Airport in North Cyprus is cheaper. It only requires some pre-planning.
From the South side there are no ferries 2012-13, an agent comments
The EU doesn't recognise the Turkish right to put a border, so if you have a passport/visa valid for the EU you can cross it 10 times a day. It makes no difference if you entered from Turkey and have a stamp. (Note all native born Northern Cypriots can enter the south, but most Turkish immigrants and other guest workers from the north cannot, because they don't have EU visas)
Can I take a hire car to the north ? Yes in 2013 it was easy, but your agency probably charges an extra €25 insurance fee which is valid for 1 month.
Can I fly into the south & leave by ferry or flight from the north ? Yes ..no problem if you have valid documents .. and vice a versa
In the North
buses are a little expensive, but frequent and fast, and hitching is quite easy.
In the South
you can move around a single region for one or two euro. Hitch-hiking is easy and useful for foreigners trying to reach areas which are not convenient by bus e.g. Aphrodite's Rock from Limassol & other archaelogical sites. see http://www.cyprusbybus.com/default.aspx
- Paphos Airport to Nicosia - best take the bus to Limassol City then change to Nicosia bus. In Paphos the Nicosia bus is up the hill at Paphos Karavella which is only directly connected at at 08:00 or 19:00 (Otherwise you first take the bus to Paphos Harbour & then to Paphos Karavella) http://www.cyprusbybus.com/routes.aspx?sid=8
- Larnaca Airport does have direct buses to Limassol or Nicosia http://www.cyprusbybus.com/routes.aspx?sid=9
PLACES TO STAY
Due to costs being high & budget places not being listen in guidebooks or internet we maintain a list of budget places here
- Free camping is legal ! with the land owners permission. It seems OK on beaches and forests.
- Girne : Cyprus Dorms €10 (ask for the workers side it's without AC €offers) prices, Facebook
There is also a WWOOF project on the main road into town called GROL, but the site is earmarked for development in 2014 Facebook
- Larnaka : Youth Hostel next door to old market for €10 (the owner may not always be there, but there is the owner's phone number 0035799810968)
- Nicosia (Lefkosa) : On the North side there are workers dorms from 10TL ask around (From the tourist office look south east across the square and there is a rough place for 15TL. On the street behind there is workers hostel run by Kemal He charged me 10TL & in the kitchen the friendly guests kept sharing their dinner & breakfats with me . In the South there is a Youth Hostel near Famagusta gate for €10 (over 35 year olds not allowed)
- Lemassol : The new owner at the Luxor Hostel can only be pushed down as far as €15
- Pafos : the Triton Hotel is €15 upper town
- Polis : camping can be bargained to €5
- Pegia near Paphos : There is a rainbow Community (maybe WWOOfing) Facebook
Also worth checking http://www.hostelworld.com or http://www.hostelz.com Hostel type prices may be found through offers
A traveller listed these in April 2013
- Kyrenia: Cyprus Dorms: 10 euro for a dorm. Best to book (egg. hostelbookers) cause there are only four dorms available. Free wifi, kitchen with fridge and lockers. Very nice location. Recommended. Address: Bozoklar Sk
- Famagusta : Golden Set: For 30 TL (13 euro) you have a single with cold shower. 60 for a double with hot shower. Good location and free wifi. No kitchen, but cheap food next door. Address: Yesil Deniz (between Othello Tower and Porta del Mar)
- North Nicosia: Aksaray Pension. Nice place with a courtyard and friendly owner. Excellent located in the old town. Free wifi, but no kitchen and no lockers. 10 euro for a dorm. (workers places are cheaper see above) Address: Mecidiye 63 (Old Town, near Buyuk Hamam) Website: http://www.aksaraypansiyon.com/
- South Nicosia : Youth Board: Free wifi, kitchen, lockers and a fantastic location. Also perfect for doing day-trips from here (Kourion, Paphos, …) to places with more expensive accommodation. Age limit is 35. Dorm is 10 euro. Address: Chrysaliniotissis (North-East Old Town) Website
- Larnaka : Old YHA. 10 euro for a bed in the dorm. Perfect location. Kitchen, but no wifi, no lockers and only cold showers. The least attractive place for me, but a good option for connecting flights. Address: Nikolaou Rossou (opposite Livadhiotis; go through the archway and up the stairs on the right)
Paphos : HI hostel charging 25 euro (book ahead) web-booking
Lonely Planet thorn Tree Forum http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=15&keywordid=113 is good for latest updates
- Wikivoyage for Southern Cyprus maybe a litle confusing to understand
- Wikivoyage for Northern Cyprus