A brief history of hospitality exchange networks
- Servas is the oldest hospitality exchange organization. Setup in 1948 by Bob Luitweiler, it was originally called 'PeaceBuilders'. read more
- Hospex was the first Internet based hospitality club, established back in 1992.
- Hospitality Club is the successor to Hospex and Travelhoo, founded in 2000 by Veit Kühne and grown after merging with the Hitch Hikers Database, a global site based in Lithuania which originally had a dispute with Veit who copied parts of their website. read more
- CouchSurfing was started by Casey Fenton in 2003 and is currently the largest hospitality exchange network. Also the term "couch surf" has been around for decades, it used to mean staying on friends' couches. CouchSurfing is credited with changing the meaning to include international hospitality exchange. read more
- BeWelcome was started in 2007.read more
- Global Free Loaders
- Place 2 Stay
- Stay 4 Free
- Dachgeber (a still paper based, mostly german network for cyclists)
- Gig Swap
- Warm Showers
- Organic Farmingwiki
More about hospitality networks.