|New Zealand||Main pages||Places||Other links|
Auckland • Gisborne • Hamilton • Rotorua • Hastings • Napier • New Plymouth • Palmerston North • Taupo • Tauranga • Wellington • Blenheim • Christchurch • Dunedin • Kaikoura • Oamaru • Nelson • Golden Bay • Picton • Arthurs Pass • Aoraki/Mount Cook, Queenstown • Wanaka • Invercargill • The Catlins • New Zealand West Coast • Fiordland • Rakiura (Stewart Island)
Kaikoura is a town in New Zealand.
The Maori name is Te Ahi-kai-koura-a-Tama-ki-te-rangi
A stunningly beautiful seaside town on the east coast of the south island approx half-way between Blenheim and Christchurch. Beautiful crescent-shaped bay right in town, great for swimming. Fantastic place for beach combing. Just north of town the mountains literally meet the sea.
Things to to see and do
- Beachcombe for interesting pebbles on the beach behind the shops.
- Walk out to the seal colony.
- Walk around the peninsula from the seal colony to South Bay. Huge variety of birdlife.
- Hike up Mount Fyfe - strenuous full day hike.
- There are many commercial tours operating eg ‘Swim with Seals’, ‘Swim with Dolphins’, ‘Whale Watch Tours’, "Kayak with Seals'.
- Highly recommended is a trip with Kaikoura Kayaks - 0800 452 456 for bookings and info.
Some Useful Links