|Cyprus||Main pages||Places||Other links|
Cyprus is a country in Europe.
- The CS Places Page for Cyprus
- Cyprus Discussion Group
- CS Events group
- Facebook group (For the sake of its 'cyber-security' and quick acceptance, please send an introductory message to CS member Pandelis )
In the South costs are higher than most of Europe except for when taxes are lower like for alcohol & cigarettes. Southern Cyprus like many places has become 2 cultures on top of each other native and immigrant i.e. a village square has a store and opposite a Bulgarian/Romanian/Philipina place with cheaper stuff. The North is usually about half price for many things, but alcohol is a little more expensive.
Ferries to Cyprus
From Turkey there are ferries to Kyrenia ("Girne") from Taşucu (Mersin Province), Alanya and Antalya.
WINTER : The night (slow) ferry From Taşucu is 72TL, including port taxes.
SUMMER : In summer fast ferries run everyday.
There are also ferries Between Mersin City in Turkey and Famagusta "Gazimagusta" in the East of the North side.
However, booking a plane ticket from any major city in the South of Turkey to the Airport in North Cyprus is cheaper. It only requires some pre-planning.
South Cyprus there are no ferries 2012-13, an agent comments
There are 2 2012 discussions about Israel ferries 1, Israel ferries Israel ferries 2 .
Salamis Lines sometimes have cruises to Israel. It is claimed it's expensive & maybe one way is possible on a last minute standby basis if they have space. 2013 Schedule.
- Salamis office is in Limassol on the sea front road 300m east of the main church and centre here (Google maps was wrong)
- Another option is to cross to Turkey and take the ferry from İskenderun to Haifa.sisadenizcilik.com (April 2013 website functioning)
Ferrylines.com provides info on most ferries in the Mediterranean.
Limited places on Cargo Ships : usually very expensive.
- There is a car ferry coming from Egypt, not clear if it can pick up passengers in Limassol
- There is a ferry from Italy ..it costs €3000 for a car and family
- a company operating who can get you on cargo boats to
Greece €240 http://www.varianostravel.com/cruises/Limassol-Cyprus-Rhodes-Greece-ferry-boat-service.htm
Israel €275 http://www.varianostravel.com/Cruises/ferry_service.htm
By Air from Europe
Budget Airlines to Cyprus
TO Larnaka AIRPORT
Easy Jet from London Gatwick. Also from Milan Malpensa beginning 27th March 2013. Monarch from Birmingham, Leeds, London Gatwick and London Luton and Manchester Blue Air from Bucharest Norwegian from Oslo - Gardermoen (all year), Copenhagen and Stockholm - Arlanda (during high season) Wizz Air from Budapest and Sofia during high season. The semi budget Aegean Airlines from Athens, London Heathrow, Thessaloniki. NOTE: All Ryan flights to Larnaca were stopped permanently in November 2012 and transferred to Paphos. [[Larnaca Airport] Getting To/from the airport]
TO Paphos AIRPORT
Easy Jet from Bristol, Edinburgh, London Gatwick, London Luton, Manchester Monarch from Birmingham, London Gatwick, Manchester Ryan Air serves the following 16 destinations: Bologna, Budapest T1, Chania, Charlerois (Brussels), Girona (Barcelona), Kaunas, Krakow, London Stanstead, Manchester, Milan (Bergamo), Oslo (Rygge), Patras, Rome (Ciampino), Stockholm (Skavsta), ThessalonÃki, Weeze (Dusseldorf) The flights that will continue through the low season are the ones from Chania, ThessalonÃki, Milano (Bergamo) and London (Stansted) Thomson Airways serve several destinations in the UK, five during the low season and fifteen during high season.
Flight distances from Larnaca Beirut: 210 Km / 130 miles Damascus: 315 Km / 195 miles Tel Aviv: 340 Km / 210 miles Amman: 390 Km / 245 miles Cairo: 355 miles / 570 Km Athens 930 Km / 580 miles Thessaloniki: 1130 Km / 700 miles Rome: 2010 Km / 1250 miles London: 3280 Km / 2040 miles
==TIPS budget places to stay in Cyprus== April 2013 remember if you find some info out of date you can update it
Due to costs being high & budget places not being listen in guidebooks or internet we maintain a standby list of budget accommodation for when you cannot find a CS host.
- Girne : Cyprus Dorms €10 (ask for the workers side it's without AC €offers) prices, Facebook. There is also a WWOOF project on the main road into town called GROL, but the site is earmarked for development in 2014 Facebook
- Larnaka : Youth Hostel next door to old market for €10 (the owner may not always be there, but there is the owner's phone number 0035799810968)
- Nicosia (Lefkosa) : On the North side there are workers dorms from 10TL ask around (From the tourist office look south east across the square and there is a rough place for 15TL. On the street behind there is workers hostel run by Kemal He charged me 10TL & in the kitchen the friendly guests kept sharing their dinner & breakfats with me . In the South there is a Youth Hostel near Famagusta gate for €10 (over 35 year olds not allowed)
- Lemassol : The new owner at the Luxor Hostel can only be pushed down as far as €15
- Pafos : the Trianon Hotel is €15 upper town Archiepiskopou Makariou 99 (off SW side of uppertown main square)
- Polis : camping can be bargained to €5
- Pegia near Paphos : There is a rainbow Community (maybe WWOOfing) Facebook. Also worth checking http://www.hostelworld.com or http://www.hostelz.com Hostel type prices may be found through offers
A traveller listed these in April 2013
- Kyrenia: Cyprus Dorms: 10 euro for a dorm. Best to book (egg. hostelbookers) cause there are only four dorms available. Free wifi, kitchen with fridge and lockers. Very nice location. Recommended. Address: Bozoklar Sk
- Famagusta : Golden Set: For 30 TL (13 euro) you have a single with cold shower. 60 for a double with hot shower. Good location and free wifi. No kitchen, but cheap food next door. Address: Yesil Deniz (between Othello Tower and Porta del Mar)
- North Nicosia: Aksaray Pension. Nice place with a courtyard and friendly owner. Excellent located in the old town. Free wifi, but no kitchen and no lockers. 10 euro for a dorm. (workers places are cheaper see above) Address: Mecidiye 63 (Old Town, near Buyuk Hamam) Website: http://www.aksaraypansiyon.com/
- South Nicosia : Youth Board: Free wifi, kitchen, lockers and a fantastic location. Also perfect for doing day-trips from here (Kourion, Paphos, …) to places with more expensive accommodation. Age limit is 35. Dorm is 10 euro. Address: Chrysaliniotissis (North-East Old Town) Website
- Larnaka : Old YHA. 10 euro for a bed in the dorm. Perfect location. Kitchen, but no wifi, no lockers and only cold showers. The least attractive place for me, but a good option for connecting flights. Address: Nikolaou Rossou (opposite Livadhiotis; go through the archway and up the stairs on the right)
Paphos : HI hostel charging 25 euro (book ahead) web-booking
This list is not supposed to be exhaustive and if you have time you will find other places through the regular means like guidebooks and hostel listing sites.
The EU doesn't recognise the Turkish right to put a border, so if you have a passport/visa valid for the EU you can cross it 10 times a day. It makes no difference if you entered from Turkey and have a stamp. (Note all native born Northern Cypriots can enter the south, but most Turkish immigrants and other guest workers from the north cannot, because they don't have EU visas).
Is it is part of Turkey or not ? No - The government of TRNC (Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus does control the area of the north. So they choose to let in most tourists who are allowed into the EU plus a second category (some other tourists e.g. Turkish people without EU visas). The first category can enter to the south the second category cannot.
Can I take a hire car to the north ? Yes in 2013 it was easy, but your agency probably charges an extra €25 insurance fee which is valid for 1 month.
Can I fly into the south & leave by ferry or flight from the north ? People with valid documents often do this without problem .. and vice a versa (Years ago it used to be a problem, but now it seems EU law means countries cannot restrict travel to other EU countries)
In the North
buses are a little expensive, but frequent and fast, and hitching is quite easy.
In the South
you can move around a single region for one or two euro. Hitch-hiking is easy and useful for foreigners trying to reach areas which are not convenient by bus e.g. Aphrodite's Rock from Limassol & other archaelogical sites.
see All Buses
- Inter City Buses Free Phone: 8000 77 89 Tel: +357 24 643493 Fax:+357 24 643492
- Paphos Airport to Nicosia - best take the bus to Limassol City then change to Nicosia bus. In Paphos the Nicosia bus is up the hill at Paphos Karavella which is only directly connected at at 08:00 or 19:00 (Otherwise you first take the bus to Paphos Harbour & then to Paphos Karavella) http://www.cyprusbybus.com/routes.aspx?sid=8
- Larnaca Airport does have direct buses to Limassol or Nicosia http://www.cyprusbybus.com/routes.aspx?sid=9
PLACES TO STAY
- Free camping is legal ! with the land owners permission. It seems OK on beaches and forests.
Due to costs being high & budget places not being listen in guidebooks or internet we maintain a list of TIPS_budget_places_to_stay_in_Cyprus
- Not 2 different countries : People think it is, but for most people say EU passport holders, it is easy to cross the Turkish controlled posts. Driving is OK, but by public transport you have to walk over the "borders" and switch to another bus.
- "Famagusta" : used by government in the south to refer to the area centred on Paralimni... on bus timetables etc. this is not the city of Famagusta which is under the control of the TRNC
- Supermarkets in the south are all closed on Sundays
SPECIAL INFO FOR THE SOUTH
- Almost everyone born on the island speaks good English. In a few areas you can speak Russian all day
GREEK Phrasebook http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Greek_phrasebook
SPECIAL INFO FOR THE NORTH TRNC
- A lot of people in the north are immigrants from Turkey, so it is useful to know some Turkish phrases http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Turkish_phrasebook
Lonely Planet thorn Tree Forum http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=15&keywordid=113 is good for latest updates
- Wikivoyage for Southern Cyprus maybe a litle confusing to understand
- Wikivoyage for Northern Cyprus